Postponed - International workshop in Albania
POSTPONED IN 2023 - INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP
BUILDING TOGETHER THE FUTURE OF HERITAGE SITES IN THE BALKANS
Vau i Dejës & Shkodra, Albania
Three-and-a-half days exchange workshop about heritage sites sustainable management in the Balkans, based on case studies and shared experiences.
The plenary sessions will take place in the municipalities of Vau i Dejës and Shkodra. There will be a full day on the field at Komani site. The closing session will take place during an official event in Tirana.
Context and goals
The municipalities of Vau i Dejës and Shkodra are committed to a project to create a protected area in order to enhance the diversity of Komani heritage resources (landscape, archaeology, vernacular heritage, etc.). Based on Komani case study and on the Grands Sites de France approach, the workshop intends to feed discussion about integrated management of heritage site in Albania and more broadly in the Balkans. It will also discuss the experience acquired within the Grands Sites de France national policy (coordination between preserving heritage value of sites and managing tourist flows, stimulating a socio-economic impact on the area, urban sprawl, etc.).
- - 15 to 20 people
- - Professionals and organizations involved in preservation, management and valorisation of Komani, of other heritage sites in the Drin Valley, Albania or the Balkan region.
- - Other participants / speakers with relevant experience for the workshop
Organizers and venue
The seminar is co-organized by the Franco-Albanian archaeological mission of Drin Valley, the municipalities of Vau i Dejës and Shkodra, as well as the Réseau des Grands Sites de France (RGSF), in collaboration with the Grand Site de France Bibracte-Morvan des Sommets, the French Embassy in Albania and the partners of the RGSF's International Francophone Centre.
- Located in the Drin valley, in northern Albania, Komani is at the heart of a research programme, conducted jointly with the sites of Lezha and Sarda, led by the Franco-Albanian archaeological mission. Komani stands out for its large surface area of 1300 ha, of which 150 ha are archaeological remains. It witnesses the presence of a large city and diocese of the Arbër medieval civilization, which disappeared in the 16th century with the Ottoman invasion. Today, the site also presents several industrial hydric structures. Located in a rural area, the economic activities are mainly related to agriculture, fishing, livestock farming, as well as a fast-growing tourism.
- The Grands Sites de France Network (RGSF, www.grandsitedefrance.com) is an organisation, bringing together local authorities responsible for both day-to-day operations and long-term evolution of the most remarkable protected landscapes in France (49 affiliated sites, 32 million visitors per year : Concors-Sainte Victoire, Cliffs of Etretat-Albâtre Coast, Solutré-Pouilly Vergisson,…). Since 2010, it manages the International Centre for training and exchange of francophone heritage site managers (www.polepatrimoine.org). The latter organizes trainings in integrated management of heritage sites under the patronage of UNESCO and field workshops. It coordinates an online exchanges network of more than 140 professionals from 36 countries and supports international cooperation projects between sites.
French & English
Terms and conditions of participation
> Download the call for registratation in PDF version (low resolution)
DAY 1 - NOVEMBER 14th
- Arrival at Shkodra
- 18:45 Opening of the seminar and brief introduction of each participant
- 20:00 Opening dinner
DAY 2 - NOVEMBER 15th
- 8:00-17:30 Field trip to Komani (and Sarda, to be confirmed) and meeting with the local actors
- 18:30-20:00 Workshop No. 1: "Heritage value and genuis loci" – Approaches, case studies and exchanges.
Location: Vau i Dejës
DAY 3 - NOVEMBER 16th
- 9:30-12:00 Workshop No. 2: "From the site's meaning and value to a management plan - the integrated management of a heritage site" – Approaches, case studies and exchanges.
- 13:30-16:00 Workshop No. 3: "Building a sustainable destination" – Approaches, case studies and exchanges.
- 16:15-17:30 Workshop No. 4: "Governance, partnerships and local mobilization" – Approaches, case studies and exchanges
- 17:45-19:00 Workshop No. 5: “Territorial management and urban planning - From the site to the great landscape" – Approaches, case studies and exchanges
Seminar’s first conclusions
Location: Vau i Dejës ou Shkodra
DAY 4 - NOVEMBER 17th
- 09:00 Departure for Tirana
- Official closing session - Reception in Tirana for the closing session with institutions and partners.
A workshop organized by the Franco-Albanian archaeological mission of Drin Valley &
In partnership with